Skip to main content

Love Day 2014

It's no secret that I LOVE Love Day!  So many nay sayers talk about how it's a made up, commercialized holiday.  blah blah blah.  I just ignore them.  Maybe it is made up, but if you're going to make up a holiday, sign me up for the day that celebrates all of those you love!  As for the commercialization, that's an individual choice- just like Christmas.  Each of us chooses to make it about gifts or about the "true meaning".  I don't care about gifts; in fact, I would much rather just get a loving note for Jim and my boys.  That's why I love Love Day.  It's a chance to tell those we love just how much we love them.  Not that we shouldn't every other day of the year, but shouldn't we celebrate Christ more than once a year?  We all intend to do be completely loving and Christlike all year long, but it's just not reality.  At least, it's not for me.

Sadly, this years Valentines kind of went the same as Christmas.  I'm still sick about half the week, add to that that this week was completely crazy with finals and life and yadda yadda yadda.  Heck, I didn't even have the desire or will-power to decorate this year, which is so totally unlike me.  So, again, I vow that next year will be better, but for now, here's how we did celebrate-

First, Jackson's class Valentines.  We chose to go with the "You blow me away, Valentine" theme.  We filled little baggies with a bottle of bubbles, a Blow Pop sucker, and some Cry Baby bubble gum.  Every thing fit perfectly, even the pre-made note for each baggie.  It looks like I planned it so perfectly, but it was sheer coincidence!  I mean... oh, the hours and hours I painstakingly put into make them look so perfect...



On actual Valentines Day I planned to write each boy and Jim a special letter letting them know just how much I loved them, but... I had a final the night before and I didn't think to do it ahead of time.  We did buy the boys a few things out of the dollar section at Target (which they loved!), and they were sent so many Valentines from all over the country from family and friends.  Thank you for all those that thought of our boys, they were so excited to read each one.  The kept saying, "What?!  We have more???".  They couldn't believe how many people love them.

Jim and the boys kinda went all out for me this year.  Jim bought me TWO dozen roses, and a box of chocolates, and the boys each gave me a bouquet of flowers and a box of chocolates- Dove chocolates, the only candy I can eat right now.  (Weird, I know.)  BUT the best surprise of all- Jim surprised me with a 4 day weekend at home!  I had no idea he took time off and I was THRILLED!  Best Love Day gift ever!  I, however, have misplaced Jim's Valentines card, I already admitted I didn't write him a sweet letter, and he was with me when I picked up some Zour candies and Mountain Dew- my gifts to him.  So, yeah, we were kind of crazy commercial this year, but it was a really good day.

Because Jim had the day off he got to attend Jackson's Love Day party at school!  We were in charge of the Love Day temporary tattoo table at the party.  Jim entertained the children and their parents with his "temporarily permanent" tattoo humor.  I have to admit he is pretty funny at times.  
I did catch a couple pictures of the boys playing and blowing bubbles at the party in-between my temporary tattoo artistry.




All in all, it was a good day despite our commercialized celebrations on this made-up, commercialized day.  I hope every one had a wonderful and LOVING Love Day!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

If you decorate, it will come.

A friend of mine uses the motto, "if you decorate, it will come". So I decorated for fall because I want the fall weather to get here already. I'm a pregnant lady who doesn't like the heat when I'm not pregnant, so I'm especially not fond of it right now. It's supposed to be in the low 80's here, but instead it's in the high flippin' 90's! A friend of mine has a fabulous blog, http://smallsimplethingswithlove.blogspot.com, and it is my FAVORITE blog, so check it out. Nicole, is talented and creative and on a budget!! (my 3 favorite things) Anyway, she had some really cute ideas on her blog that I stole and it got me in the mood for decorating! This picture is of our entry way, by our front door. My favorite part is the autumn picture which I made with my handy-dandy Cricut machine. My husband even helped, hehe. I've had the frame for at least 10 years and I just took out the old ugly picture of the flower that was in it and crea

Maybe a new birthday tradition...

I just have one brother and his birthday is 5 days before mine, so it's been pretty easy to keep up with him. Jim, however, has 3 brothers and a sister, and now 3 of his siblings are married, so the birthday's just keep adding up. My forgetful brain can NOT keep up. Anyway, I've been looking for a cute and thoughtful way to send birthday greetings to all the aunts and uncles since we've been married. Almost 4 years later I think I finally have an idea! My idea is to make a birthday sign every year and have the boys take a picture with the sign for whatever family member has a birthday. Then send the person the picture with birthday greetings. Then every year they will have a different picture with the boys as they grow and I won't feel guilty missing anyone's birthday without proper acknowledgement. I also thought that it would make a great photo album for us if we keep each person's birthday picture with the boys and watch their growth progression

New callings

Well we did get new callings at church, but that's just an excuse to post more pictures!  Jim is now the 2nd counselor in the Sunday school presidency and I am an assistant to the Activity Days coordinator.  I think it'll be a lot of fun!  I can't wait to work with the girls.  Anyway, the boys wore my favorite outfits of the season on Sunday, so it was picture time at our house on Sunday. How cute are these boys?!  I can't believe how big Jackson is these days.  In my mind he's still Austin's size. Notice the socks with sandals that Jackson is sporting?  That was Daddy's idea.  Thank goodness I realized that he had socks on with sandals before Sacrament even started.  I promptly took them off.  Men.