Skip to main content

Harrison Blake



Harrison is 6 weeks old now and I still haven't posted about his birth and delivery.  This summer has been ridiculous and poor Harrison's birth blog has been put on the back burner while I was in survival mode.  Harrison has been a dream baby- sleeping great, calm, hardly crying, content through his brothers' crazy, and patient with all of us.  Anyway, here's his story-

He was born at 38 weeks just like his brothers.  His induction fell on July 3rd.  We really wanted him to come on 7-2-14 or 7-7-14 because the numbers were fun, but July 3rd was his day.  This time they had me come in at Midnight on the 3rd to start Pitocin, mostly because the hospital was full and they were afraid with the holiday there would be no room if I waited until morning.  I had small contractions all night, but I was able to sleep through them.  I didn't sleep through the nurses constantly bothering me though...  At 7am my doctor broke my water and upped the Pitocin and the real fun started.  This was not a simple, painless delivery like my others were, and it started with my water breaking- PAINFUL!  The real contractions started pretty quickly and my nurse put me down for an epidural.  She came in to check me and I requested the epidural and she mentioned that now was a good time because no one was on the list.  The woman was in my room 2 minutes tops and when she left to add my name to the list there were already FIVE women ahead of me.  WHAT!?!  I finally got the epidural almost 2 hours later and I was in pain.  I had been in pain for almost 90 minutes.  The epidural worked great and I was a happy camper for a couple hours until I started feeling pressure.  I called the nurse in because pressure meant it was time to push with my first two babies, but when the nurse came in I was only at an 8.  My worst fear in delivery was happening, my epidural was wearing off, but I didn't know it at first.  My nurse left to check on her other patient while my pressure quickly turned into pain.  I called for a nurse 3 more times, telling them the epidural was wearing off and I was in a lot of pain.  Even Jim went out to the nurses station  twice and demanded I be seen because I was in so much pain.  I knew the closer it got to delivery there would be no chance of more epidural meds, so I was freaking out!  Sure enough, it was time to push and my nurse finally got back to my room.  No one even told her I needed assistance and apparently there were several nurses in the break room.  My nurse was ANGRY to say the least.  I actually had the charge nurse as my nurse (I didn't know it at the time), so she gave me Demoral (sp?) which did nothing but make me stupid sleepy and she left my room.  She came back quickly apologizing profusely and letting me know she just yelled, literally yelled, at the nurses and staff for not tending to me or informing her that I was in pain.  She did what she could to ease my pain, but it was too late, Harrison was on his way.  I FELT EVERY THING!  Including the stitches afterward.  And to all my friends that say that every woman should have the natural, non-medicated birth experience (you know who you are), you can all bite me!  Feeling the pain did not change my love for my child or my experience as a mother, it was just hell.  Sorry for the language, but it's the truth.  Anyway, Harrison Blake was born at 2:03pm on July 3rd.  Perfectly healthy and looking just like his brothers.

Here's brand new Harrison, gooped up and all!



He was alert and calm after the first few seconds.  Complete perfection.
Harrison's birth experience was so much different.  I got to do the miracle hour and he never left our room- except when they took him to the nursery because he was spitting up mucus and not eating.  He had lots of mucus in his tummy with 6cc's of air.  They cleared his tummy and he was fine afterward.  They only let me hold Austin for a few minutes after birth, and I didn't get hold Jackson at all right afterward.  Then they took the old boys straight to the nursery for 2-3 hours to clean him up and check him.  With Harrison all of that medical, hospitally stuff happened right in my room where I could watch him the entire time.  My heart was so grateful to have him with me the whole time.


We were only the hospital a little over 24 hours this time around.  Another perk of his birth.  I spent 3 days in the hospital with my older boys, begging each day to go home, and finally, with my 3rd baby they let me go home when I asked.  But in that small 24 hours so many people came to visit us and meet Harrison- including one of my dearest friends, Marcella.  It was a total surprise!  Sadly, I didn't think to get pictures of her.  But I did get pictures of Harrison with his brothers while we were in the hospital-


Harrison went home on the 4th of July, so his outfit was appropriate (it was also one of the only outfits that fit him, he was very tiny compared to his brothers at 7lb 9oz, 19" long).  We actually had to go out and get him a few sleepers that were smaller and fit him better.


Harrison did so well at home, but he was small and losing weight while I was exclusively breastfeeding.  We were waking him every 2 hours to feed him, but his weight kept dropping until his 2 week appt when he was down to 6lbs 13oz (he had finally gained an ounce after dropping to 6lbs 12oz), but we were told we needed to start supplementing.  I was heart broken.  I was so excited to try breastfeeding again, but it just didn't work out for Harrison.  I cried and cried, I was literally devestated, but I was able to deal with it as I watched his weight quickly go up.  At 3 weeks my beautiful baby boy was 7lbs 14oz- he gained over a pound in a week!  So now we supplement and hes growing fabulously!  I bet he's over 10lbs now.


Harrison's brothers LOVE him!



There have been no jealousy issues.  I didn't expect issues from Jackson, but I was sure my little love bug, Austin, would have some jealous moments when he saw how much of my attention went to Harrison, but he's been great!  In fact, the only problem we have is that the older boys, especially Austin, are a little too aggressive with their love for Harrison.


Jackson always asks to hold Harrison and he's always trying to teach him new stuff.  He often calls his little brother, "precious little darling".  He picked it up from grandma, but it's ridiculously adorable!



Austin just wants to squeeze and love Harrison all day long.  He's constantly trying to hug and kiss his little brother, so we're constantly making sure he doesn't smoother his little brother in the process.  He's such a good big brother!


Jim has always been an amazing dad!  He just gets better with each baby!  
One night Harrison just kept playing with Jim's beard.  He can't really control his hands and arms yet, but that night he was enamored with daddy's beard and he had impressive control of his arm/hand.  
So sweet!


Daddy attacking Harrison with loves!  I love the look on Harrison's face.


And here's a few pictures of what it's really like to be the mom of a newborn.  Jackson snapped these little gems when Harrison was only a week or so old.  Don't be jealous that I am the mother of 3 boys and still glamorous. 



One more important relationship that I need to mention- Harrison's love/hate relationship with the bath.  Some nights he loves the bath and just enjoys the warm water.  Other nights he hates the bath with a passion and screams like we're torturing him the entire time.





And finally, Harrison sleeping with his hands in the air.  He does this all. the. time.
Here he is just a couple days ago.



I love this face!


Welcome to the world and to our family, Harrison Blake!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

If you decorate, it will come.

A friend of mine uses the motto, "if you decorate, it will come". So I decorated for fall because I want the fall weather to get here already. I'm a pregnant lady who doesn't like the heat when I'm not pregnant, so I'm especially not fond of it right now. It's supposed to be in the low 80's here, but instead it's in the high flippin' 90's! A friend of mine has a fabulous blog, http://smallsimplethingswithlove.blogspot.com, and it is my FAVORITE blog, so check it out. Nicole, is talented and creative and on a budget!! (my 3 favorite things) Anyway, she had some really cute ideas on her blog that I stole and it got me in the mood for decorating! This picture is of our entry way, by our front door. My favorite part is the autumn picture which I made with my handy-dandy Cricut machine. My husband even helped, hehe. I've had the frame for at least 10 years and I just took out the old ugly picture of the flower that was in it and crea

Maybe a new birthday tradition...

I just have one brother and his birthday is 5 days before mine, so it's been pretty easy to keep up with him. Jim, however, has 3 brothers and a sister, and now 3 of his siblings are married, so the birthday's just keep adding up. My forgetful brain can NOT keep up. Anyway, I've been looking for a cute and thoughtful way to send birthday greetings to all the aunts and uncles since we've been married. Almost 4 years later I think I finally have an idea! My idea is to make a birthday sign every year and have the boys take a picture with the sign for whatever family member has a birthday. Then send the person the picture with birthday greetings. Then every year they will have a different picture with the boys as they grow and I won't feel guilty missing anyone's birthday without proper acknowledgement. I also thought that it would make a great photo album for us if we keep each person's birthday picture with the boys and watch their growth progression

BABY NUFFER #2 is on his/her way!!!!

That's right, we were waiting to tell everyone, but today we had our second appointment and the second sono and Baby Nuffer #2 is doing well. Most of you know that we had a miscarriage in June after struggling with infertility, it was a very devastating time for us. We were "advised" to wait a couple cycles before trying again (and we were going to take the advice), but a little voice, I know now it was the Spirit, told me we should try again as soon as possible. I talked to Jim and he agreed and sure enough baby #2 is on it's way again! This little one is very healthy and has a strong heartbeat!! We aren't out of the woods yet, I'm just under 9 weeks and at 12 weeks our chances of miscarriage drop significantly. I don't feel we'll be out of the woods until I have our little baby in my arms, which will only give me a whole new set of stresses to worry about. ;) This is Baby Nuffer #2 at 6 weeks and 5 days. If you look close it's off to the