Skip to main content

Nuffer Family Summer Camp, week 1: SPACE

I was so excited to get started with our camp!  The first week went really well!  I had to move a couple weeks around to fit different attractions in Lubbock, so we started off with Space Week.  

First, we watched a video about the planets on YouTube and then we made our own solar system and rocket.  They absorbed more about the planets than I thought they would.





Tuesday we visited the space section of the Science Spectrum.  We saw a real astronaut suit, a real space shuttle engine, meteorites, and a satellite!  The boys weren't as impressed as my mother and I were...  It was really cool stuff!



And then they pretended to be weather men.  Hey, weather is brought to us by satellite so it's still a space activity!


Wednesday we made constellation cards and a constellation craft.  The constellation cards were kind of a fail for several reasons, but the craft was a hit!  The even named their constellations all by themselves.


Thursday we watched a moon phases slide show and made the different moon phases with Oreos!  They loved the Oreos part!
Austin was upset about something, I just think he's a cutie pie even when he's upset.



Friday we played with galaxy dough!  Just FYI, this stuff was a HUGE mess to make!!  HUGE!!  It was dough made from corn starch and shaving cream which I made blue with a little food coloring.  It smelled great and easy to clean up, but making the stuff was very messy and time consuming (getting the right consistency).  Austin wasn't sure about it at first, but he caught on and got into it-




Overall, there were a few hiccups, but it was a really fun week!  Jackson told everyone he saw (in the store, or at the post office, or people that came over) that it was space week day 4 (or whatever day it was).  They really got into the crafts and the theme.  Pirate week is coming soon!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

If you decorate, it will come.

A friend of mine uses the motto, "if you decorate, it will come". So I decorated for fall because I want the fall weather to get here already. I'm a pregnant lady who doesn't like the heat when I'm not pregnant, so I'm especially not fond of it right now. It's supposed to be in the low 80's here, but instead it's in the high flippin' 90's! A friend of mine has a fabulous blog, http://smallsimplethingswithlove.blogspot.com, and it is my FAVORITE blog, so check it out. Nicole, is talented and creative and on a budget!! (my 3 favorite things) Anyway, she had some really cute ideas on her blog that I stole and it got me in the mood for decorating! This picture is of our entry way, by our front door. My favorite part is the autumn picture which I made with my handy-dandy Cricut machine. My husband even helped, hehe. I've had the frame for at least 10 years and I just took out the old ugly picture of the flower that was in it and crea

Maybe a new birthday tradition...

I just have one brother and his birthday is 5 days before mine, so it's been pretty easy to keep up with him. Jim, however, has 3 brothers and a sister, and now 3 of his siblings are married, so the birthday's just keep adding up. My forgetful brain can NOT keep up. Anyway, I've been looking for a cute and thoughtful way to send birthday greetings to all the aunts and uncles since we've been married. Almost 4 years later I think I finally have an idea! My idea is to make a birthday sign every year and have the boys take a picture with the sign for whatever family member has a birthday. Then send the person the picture with birthday greetings. Then every year they will have a different picture with the boys as they grow and I won't feel guilty missing anyone's birthday without proper acknowledgement. I also thought that it would make a great photo album for us if we keep each person's birthday picture with the boys and watch their growth progression

New callings

Well we did get new callings at church, but that's just an excuse to post more pictures!  Jim is now the 2nd counselor in the Sunday school presidency and I am an assistant to the Activity Days coordinator.  I think it'll be a lot of fun!  I can't wait to work with the girls.  Anyway, the boys wore my favorite outfits of the season on Sunday, so it was picture time at our house on Sunday. How cute are these boys?!  I can't believe how big Jackson is these days.  In my mind he's still Austin's size. Notice the socks with sandals that Jackson is sporting?  That was Daddy's idea.  Thank goodness I realized that he had socks on with sandals before Sacrament even started.  I promptly took them off.  Men.