Skip to main content

Homemade laundry soap

After about a dozen of my friends started making their own laundry soap I decided maybe it's time I give it a try too.  After talking to a friend that I KNOW is a neat freak like me and she has 4 kids with double the dirty, sticky, crayon-laced clothes that I have, and she raved about homemade detergent I was sure I wanted to make my own laundry soap too.  You can find my recipe here.  I was able to get spaghetti stains off of a white shirt and make Jim's dingy work shorts really clean and bright again.  All of this with just one little tablespoon of homemade detergent.  I did pre-treat the dried spaghetti sauce with a bar of the Fels-Naptha soap (found in the detergent) because someone told me it's a great stain remover and pre-treat agent, and it is!

So here's how I made mine...

Step 1:  Gather all the ingredients.  I found ALL of the ingredients in the detergent isle at Walmart.  I did buy the generic Oxy-clean, and it's more than enough for 2 batches of detergent.  The total cost was $17 plus tax, and if you consider that the Oxy-clean will work for 2 batches than the cost of one batch is only about $15.  Nice!


Step 2:  Combine all the ingredients.  I lined a 5 gallon bucket with a trash bag and poured everything in and stirred.  Jim ran the bar soap though the food processor to grate it into small pieces.  I ended up lining another 5 gallon bucket just to make sure that the grated bar soap was distributed evenly throughout the detergent.  NOTE:  There will be a lot of dust so one of those painters masks would be really helpful during the mixing and pouring process.  And stirring is difficult.  I used a very large metal spoon, but a wooden spoon should work just as well.


Here's a close up of the detergent.


Step 3:  Storing the detergent.  In the recipe the woman used a big glass container that she had.  I don't have a big glass container with a lid, so I needed to use something else.  I always head straight to the Dollar Tree when I need some storage bins.  I found these 3 plastic containers with lids and they worked great!  I evenly distributed the detergent into each.  I'm guessing one of these containers of detergent will last 2 or 3 months and I do a lot of laundry.  I'll update after I've used a whole container to tell you how long it lasted.


Step 4:  Me, being me, couldn't just leave these containers as they were.  I had to make them pretty.  I Googled and Pinterested some laundry labels, but I didn't like any of them.  So, I made my own and used clear contact paper to adhere the labels.  It took a few minutes, but this is the final product.  I bought an extra bar of Fels-Naptha to use a stain remover.


SIDENOTES:  I really do LOVE this detergent!  But don't expect the tablespoon of soap to make the water sudsy, it's not going to happen.  If you look in the washer during the agitation process then you'll see the water is a little opaque, but that's about all you're going to see.  Also, you can use the scent crystals (also found in the detergent isle at Walmart) to make the detergent smell like the big name brand detergents, but I still use fabric softner and a dryer sheets with each load, so with those scents there was no need to use the scent crystals.  The detergent has a very mild clean scent to it without scent crystals.  Seriously, this stuff is AMAZING!  Happy Laundering!  

Comments

  1. I make my own as well. I have done both but now am doing the liquid. I like both, liquid is a bit more expensive (I know krista it's all cheap, you little cheep girl) but I think maybe the powder works a bit better? I'll have to try your recipe!
    You are so creative, with your kid crafts, go momma:)
    I miss you, sure hope we can some day hang out as Mom's... We've never done that:(
    Great updates! I'm impressed with how you can keep up this blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Krista, I miss you SO much!! You're so sweet! You'll have to let me know when you're in town so we can visit and let the kids play while we chat. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

If you decorate, it will come.

A friend of mine uses the motto, "if you decorate, it will come". So I decorated for fall because I want the fall weather to get here already. I'm a pregnant lady who doesn't like the heat when I'm not pregnant, so I'm especially not fond of it right now. It's supposed to be in the low 80's here, but instead it's in the high flippin' 90's! A friend of mine has a fabulous blog, http://smallsimplethingswithlove.blogspot.com, and it is my FAVORITE blog, so check it out. Nicole, is talented and creative and on a budget!! (my 3 favorite things) Anyway, she had some really cute ideas on her blog that I stole and it got me in the mood for decorating! This picture is of our entry way, by our front door. My favorite part is the autumn picture which I made with my handy-dandy Cricut machine. My husband even helped, hehe. I've had the frame for at least 10 years and I just took out the old ugly picture of the flower that was in it and crea

Maybe a new birthday tradition...

I just have one brother and his birthday is 5 days before mine, so it's been pretty easy to keep up with him. Jim, however, has 3 brothers and a sister, and now 3 of his siblings are married, so the birthday's just keep adding up. My forgetful brain can NOT keep up. Anyway, I've been looking for a cute and thoughtful way to send birthday greetings to all the aunts and uncles since we've been married. Almost 4 years later I think I finally have an idea! My idea is to make a birthday sign every year and have the boys take a picture with the sign for whatever family member has a birthday. Then send the person the picture with birthday greetings. Then every year they will have a different picture with the boys as they grow and I won't feel guilty missing anyone's birthday without proper acknowledgement. I also thought that it would make a great photo album for us if we keep each person's birthday picture with the boys and watch their growth progression

Jackson turns 3!! Blue's Clues Extravaganza!

My oldest baby boy turned 3 this week. I know parents say this all the time, but I can't believe how fast the time goes. Next year he'll be getting ready for pre-school, then kindergarten, and I'm still wrapping my head around him being in a big boy bed. Time flies when you don't want it too. I planned on a Sesame Street party this year because he loved Sesame Street, but that was before he was introduced to Blue's Clues. Now it's Blue's Clues this and Blue's Clues that. So I switched the theme 2 weeks before his birthday, but Jim and I pulled it off. We made all the decorations ourselves and most of the party favors as well. So this birthday was exactly what Jackson wanted and it was a very frugal party too. Win, win! Austin ate some breakfast before the festivities began. Unfortunately, he fell asleep just as the party started. Happy 3rd Birthday Jackson! We made all the Blue's Clues decorations by hand with craft paper, marker