Skip to main content

Fun FHE!

I bought a few things because I wanted the boys to plant some seeds of grass for another fun activity I have on my mind (I'll post about this activity later). Anyway, I thought it would be fun if I created an FHE around this activity, and this is what I came up with: Planting a seed is just like what Heavenly Father does when he plants talents in each of us.

This is a picture of a few of the supplies I needed for this FHE (sorry for the glare, I'm definitely not a professional photographer). I used some cups, soil, grass seeds, a small white board, a picture (of a quote that went with the theme), and my FHE planning guide so I wouldn't get off track. We started with a song and a prayer. We sang "Give Said the Little Stream" because it seemed appropriate. Next I explained what a talent is and that everyone has talents. With a little help Jackson finally understood the concept.

Once Jackson understood what a talent was we took turns discussing what special talents we all have been given. Daddy did a good job being our scribe. Jackson came up with some funny talents for each of us. Jackson thinks his best talent was his fantastic singing abilities. Jackson thinks Austin's best talent is playing; Daddy's best talent is drawing; and my best talent is feeding Austin (my talent makes me laugh). Anyway, these are all the talents we came up with.

Next we read the scripture, Matthew 25:29. It's about not hiding our talents, but rather, we should share our talents with others. We also talked about the dandelion picture which says:
"Be careful what you choose...
Because as you know
The type of seed you plant
is exactly what you'll grow"

Planting the seeds was the object lesson. The cup is like our body, the soil like the Spirit, and the seeds are the talents that Heavenly Father gives to each of us. Then I let Jackson plant 2 cups of grass seeds for himself and 2 cups of grass seeds for Austin. He really liked playing in the dirt.

I really like the idea of treats for FHE, but Jackson is so picky he doesn't even like most treats. I hit the jackpot with this FHE treat. It's not only delicious, but it's also good for you and low in calories. You just take grapes and wash them, then while they are wet throw them in a plastic baggy with a package of lime jello and shake them up until their coated in the lime jello powder, and refidgerate. They're supposed to taste like Sour Patch Kids, but they don't really. They have the same texture as Sour Patch Kids, but they don't taste the same. This treat is delicious even if it doesn't taste just like Sour Patch Kids. Jackson LOVED them! Win-win!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

If you decorate, it will come.

A friend of mine uses the motto, "if you decorate, it will come". So I decorated for fall because I want the fall weather to get here already. I'm a pregnant lady who doesn't like the heat when I'm not pregnant, so I'm especially not fond of it right now. It's supposed to be in the low 80's here, but instead it's in the high flippin' 90's! A friend of mine has a fabulous blog, http://smallsimplethingswithlove.blogspot.com, and it is my FAVORITE blog, so check it out. Nicole, is talented and creative and on a budget!! (my 3 favorite things) Anyway, she had some really cute ideas on her blog that I stole and it got me in the mood for decorating! This picture is of our entry way, by our front door. My favorite part is the autumn picture which I made with my handy-dandy Cricut machine. My husband even helped, hehe. I've had the frame for at least 10 years and I just took out the old ugly picture of the flower that was in it and crea

Maybe a new birthday tradition...

I just have one brother and his birthday is 5 days before mine, so it's been pretty easy to keep up with him. Jim, however, has 3 brothers and a sister, and now 3 of his siblings are married, so the birthday's just keep adding up. My forgetful brain can NOT keep up. Anyway, I've been looking for a cute and thoughtful way to send birthday greetings to all the aunts and uncles since we've been married. Almost 4 years later I think I finally have an idea! My idea is to make a birthday sign every year and have the boys take a picture with the sign for whatever family member has a birthday. Then send the person the picture with birthday greetings. Then every year they will have a different picture with the boys as they grow and I won't feel guilty missing anyone's birthday without proper acknowledgement. I also thought that it would make a great photo album for us if we keep each person's birthday picture with the boys and watch their growth progression

New callings

Well we did get new callings at church, but that's just an excuse to post more pictures!  Jim is now the 2nd counselor in the Sunday school presidency and I am an assistant to the Activity Days coordinator.  I think it'll be a lot of fun!  I can't wait to work with the girls.  Anyway, the boys wore my favorite outfits of the season on Sunday, so it was picture time at our house on Sunday. How cute are these boys?!  I can't believe how big Jackson is these days.  In my mind he's still Austin's size. Notice the socks with sandals that Jackson is sporting?  That was Daddy's idea.  Thank goodness I realized that he had socks on with sandals before Sacrament even started.  I promptly took them off.  Men.