Skip to main content

4th of July 2015

This week in the NFSC we were supposed to learn about American and why we celebrate the 4th of July every year, but since it was Harrison's birthday, we didn't get to it, but we did celebrate the 4th- there just wasn't as much learning involved as I would have liked.

So, I have been mulling over (and a little worried) about this year's 4th because I know that Jackson and Austin would LOVE to see a big firework display, but I also know that there is noway Harrison would be able to stay awake until after the sun goes down.  That's an impossible feat for my littlest handsome right now.  I also didn't want our family to be separated so some of us could attend fireworks while others of us stayed home for Harrison to get some sleep.  Seriously, I had anxiety over this.  It's not fair for the bigger boys to miss out just because there's a baby in the family.  But like it always does, it turned out perfect this year.

First, the big boys went with daddy to pick out some fireworks to do at the house.  You know, some sparklers and snakes- the "big" stuff!  :)  Quick side story:  The quotes I just used reminds me of Jackson.  He has started using air quotes, but he doesn't really know when to use them, so all day I he says things like, "May I have a "snack", please" or "Are we staying up "late" tonight", and my personal favorite, "Is Austin really my "brother"?".  This kid cracks me up!  Ok, so back to the 4th-
The big boys picked up some fireworks with daddy.


Before running errands, I had bought the boys some light up bracelets and glasses.  So they were fully and appropriately accessorized for the day.



We had a family barbecue with grandma and great grandpa and I fought off a couple super Jedi warriors.  It's a tough job, but someone has to do it.


And then it was time for some firework fun!
Everybody was ready-



Let the sparklers begin!


Austin held one sparkler and then spent the rest of the evening like this-


He's not the bravest soul these days.
Jackson had fun-


And even Harrison got in on the action!


Jackson even lit a few little fireworks for the first time.
I had a hard time with this.  I'm a big scaredy-cat when it comes to fireworks.  I just envision huge explosions and arms falling off, the whole 9.  Yeah, those sparklers can be killers!
But, hopefully Jim will help the boys not be such a scaredy-cat like their mama.
Jackson did awesome!  He was very careful and cautious, but much more brave than I am.




Jim and Jackson even had a wand/light saber fight, while Austin watched from inside the house.  Maybe next year will be Austin's year for bravery.




Remember all that worry and anxiety I had about the boys missing out on a big fireworks display?
It was no problem at all!  Our neighbors one street over had huge fireworks, just like the city had.  I did think it was a bit much for our neighborhood (you know, I am a fireworks scaredy-cat after all), but by boys got to see a big firework display right from our front yard (while Harrison slept upstairs)!
Actually, there were fireworks in every direction we looked.  It was awesome!
Best part?  The really loud ones stopped when we went inside.  Perfect timing!





But the best part of all?
We enjoyed the night together as a family.
This is what I had next to me as I watched the fireworks fly-


It was truly a perfect night.
Happy birthday, USA!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

If you decorate, it will come.

A friend of mine uses the motto, "if you decorate, it will come". So I decorated for fall because I want the fall weather to get here already. I'm a pregnant lady who doesn't like the heat when I'm not pregnant, so I'm especially not fond of it right now. It's supposed to be in the low 80's here, but instead it's in the high flippin' 90's! A friend of mine has a fabulous blog, http://smallsimplethingswithlove.blogspot.com, and it is my FAVORITE blog, so check it out. Nicole, is talented and creative and on a budget!! (my 3 favorite things) Anyway, she had some really cute ideas on her blog that I stole and it got me in the mood for decorating! This picture is of our entry way, by our front door. My favorite part is the autumn picture which I made with my handy-dandy Cricut machine. My husband even helped, hehe. I've had the frame for at least 10 years and I just took out the old ugly picture of the flower that was in it and crea

Maybe a new birthday tradition...

I just have one brother and his birthday is 5 days before mine, so it's been pretty easy to keep up with him. Jim, however, has 3 brothers and a sister, and now 3 of his siblings are married, so the birthday's just keep adding up. My forgetful brain can NOT keep up. Anyway, I've been looking for a cute and thoughtful way to send birthday greetings to all the aunts and uncles since we've been married. Almost 4 years later I think I finally have an idea! My idea is to make a birthday sign every year and have the boys take a picture with the sign for whatever family member has a birthday. Then send the person the picture with birthday greetings. Then every year they will have a different picture with the boys as they grow and I won't feel guilty missing anyone's birthday without proper acknowledgement. I also thought that it would make a great photo album for us if we keep each person's birthday picture with the boys and watch their growth progression

BABY NUFFER #2 is on his/her way!!!!

That's right, we were waiting to tell everyone, but today we had our second appointment and the second sono and Baby Nuffer #2 is doing well. Most of you know that we had a miscarriage in June after struggling with infertility, it was a very devastating time for us. We were "advised" to wait a couple cycles before trying again (and we were going to take the advice), but a little voice, I know now it was the Spirit, told me we should try again as soon as possible. I talked to Jim and he agreed and sure enough baby #2 is on it's way again! This little one is very healthy and has a strong heartbeat!! We aren't out of the woods yet, I'm just under 9 weeks and at 12 weeks our chances of miscarriage drop significantly. I don't feel we'll be out of the woods until I have our little baby in my arms, which will only give me a whole new set of stresses to worry about. ;) This is Baby Nuffer #2 at 6 weeks and 5 days. If you look close it's off to the