Skip to main content

Nuffer Family Summer Camp 2016!

It got down to the wire, but I'm getting the NFSC up and running just in time to get started on Moday!

This year we will do some of the same things as years past.  Each week we will visit the library and get books that fit the theme, we'll have a weekly field trip, and we'll do whatever activity feels good for that day.  We'll also have a movie day that goes along with the weekly theme every Friday.  Now, for the changes because, you know, we're evolving.  First, I'll put a link to my Pinterest board that corresponds to each week's theme, so I don't have to type everything out with individual links like before.  Second, I'm adding a science experiment to each week.  If you're following along with us, the science experiment can be found in the Pinterest board link that I provide under "Activities".  And third, I'm adding a new theme this year.  Instead of a "Pirates" week, we're having a week of "Cooking School".  The big boys have really showed a interest in cooking, so might as well teach them a thing or two in the kitchen.  The best part of this year's camp is that Jim gets to participate more!  His schedule works out a little better to be more involved.  We love daddy!

Soooo, without further ado...

Week 1, June 6-10, Earth and Nature:
Field trip:  Lubbock Lake Landmark
Movie:  The Lorax
Experiment(s):  create a garden, color changing daisies, and/or sandwich bag compost
Activities:  https://www.pinterest.com/raylenenuffer/nfsc-earth/

Week 2, June 13-17, Weather:
Field trip:  The Windmill Museum
Movie:  Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs
Experiment(s):  water cycle experiment and/or make an anemometer
Activities:  https://www.pinterest.com/raylenenuffer/nfsc-weather/

Week 3, June 20-24, Animals:
Field trip:  Critter Fest at the Science Spectrum
Movie:  any of the Madagascars
Experiment(s):  How do fish breathe, mini ecosystem, blubber/cold water animals, and/or beak adaption experiment
Activities: https://www.pinterest.com/raylenenuffer/nfsc-animals-and-little-critters/ 

Critter Fest 2015
 
 
Week 4, June 27-July 1, It's A Small World:
Field trip:  Texas Tech Museum
Movie:  Rio or Rio 2
Experiment(s):  we'll experiment with other cultures' traditions and food
Activities:  https://www.pinterest.com/raylenenuffer/nfsc-its-a-small-world/

Week 5, July 4-8, America, The Beautiful:
Field trip:  Watch some fireworks!
Movie:  Wreck It Ralph (arcades are pretty American, right??)
Experiment(s):  not sure...  So if anyone has any ideas...
Activities:  https://www.pinterest.com/raylenenuffer/nfsc-america-the-beautiful/

Week 6, July 11-15, Space:
Field trip:  The TTU Planetarium to see Saturn, Ring World
Movie:  Escape From Planet Earth or Home
Experiment(s):  why is the sky blue, DIY constellations and/or view constellations outside of town
Activities: https://www.pinterest.com/raylenenuffer/nfsc-space/ 

Week 7, July 18-22, The Human Body:
Field trip:  Tour an ambulance
Movie:  Tangled (she uses her senses) or Hotel Transylvania (bones guy)
Experiment(s):  flashlight through fingers, and/or exercise and graph pulse
Activities:  https://www.pinterest.com/raylenenuffer/nfsc-our-body/

Week 8, July 25-29, Cooking School:
Field trip:  Visit a new restaurant? 
Movie:  Ratatouille
Experiment(s):  We'll be experimenting in the kitchen all week
Activities:  https://www.pinterest.com/raylenenuffer/nfsc-cooking-school/ + basic foods like scrambled eggs, cookies, toast, grilled cheese, etc.

Week 9, August 1-5, The Ocean:
Field trip:  The Science Spectrum (bottom floor) OR go see Finding Dory
Movie:  Finding Nemo
Experiment(s):  what dissolves in water and/or reversing water pollution
Activities:  https://www.pinterest.com/raylenenuffer/nfsc-ocean/

Week 10, August 8-10, Planes:
Field trip:  The Silent Wings Museum
Movie:  Planes
Experiment(s):  paper airplanes (specifically thrust, drag, lift, and gravity)
Activities:  https://www.pinterest.com/raylenenuffer/nfsc-flight/

Comments

  1. First of all, kudos to you for planning this all! You should invite the neighborhood and charge tuition. ;) I saw that you have color-changing daisies as a possible activity and thought I would share my experience. I tried it with our preschool group but after two weeks, there were only a couple of tiny spots of color. I read on another blog that roses work overnight...but I haven't tried those. Anyway, it looks awesome and I hope you guys enjoy it immensely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We ended up not even doing the color changing experiment, but I think I'll try roses next year for nature week. Thanks, Missi!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

If you decorate, it will come.

A friend of mine uses the motto, "if you decorate, it will come". So I decorated for fall because I want the fall weather to get here already. I'm a pregnant lady who doesn't like the heat when I'm not pregnant, so I'm especially not fond of it right now. It's supposed to be in the low 80's here, but instead it's in the high flippin' 90's! A friend of mine has a fabulous blog, http://smallsimplethingswithlove.blogspot.com, and it is my FAVORITE blog, so check it out. Nicole, is talented and creative and on a budget!! (my 3 favorite things) Anyway, she had some really cute ideas on her blog that I stole and it got me in the mood for decorating! This picture is of our entry way, by our front door. My favorite part is the autumn picture which I made with my handy-dandy Cricut machine. My husband even helped, hehe. I've had the frame for at least 10 years and I just took out the old ugly picture of the flower that was in it and crea

Maybe a new birthday tradition...

I just have one brother and his birthday is 5 days before mine, so it's been pretty easy to keep up with him. Jim, however, has 3 brothers and a sister, and now 3 of his siblings are married, so the birthday's just keep adding up. My forgetful brain can NOT keep up. Anyway, I've been looking for a cute and thoughtful way to send birthday greetings to all the aunts and uncles since we've been married. Almost 4 years later I think I finally have an idea! My idea is to make a birthday sign every year and have the boys take a picture with the sign for whatever family member has a birthday. Then send the person the picture with birthday greetings. Then every year they will have a different picture with the boys as they grow and I won't feel guilty missing anyone's birthday without proper acknowledgement. I also thought that it would make a great photo album for us if we keep each person's birthday picture with the boys and watch their growth progression

New callings

Well we did get new callings at church, but that's just an excuse to post more pictures!  Jim is now the 2nd counselor in the Sunday school presidency and I am an assistant to the Activity Days coordinator.  I think it'll be a lot of fun!  I can't wait to work with the girls.  Anyway, the boys wore my favorite outfits of the season on Sunday, so it was picture time at our house on Sunday. How cute are these boys?!  I can't believe how big Jackson is these days.  In my mind he's still Austin's size. Notice the socks with sandals that Jackson is sporting?  That was Daddy's idea.  Thank goodness I realized that he had socks on with sandals before Sacrament even started.  I promptly took them off.  Men.