Skip to main content

Veterans Day 2014

I totally slacked on Memorial Day this year, but I really want the boys to know what regular people sacrifice so that they get the life they have and the freedoms they enjoy.  On Veterans Day I thought it would be nice to make some treats from some local veterans (and current military).  It also went right along with our FHE that week because we're learning about gratitude all month.  Jim and I both have veterans on both sides of our family, so we talked to the boys about family members that have served.  We also explained that people are serving right now!  And very recently our family friend and photographer joined the military family.  Her husband just left for basic training at the beginning of the month, so talking about our friend (Alicia) and her family made it more real and tangible to them.

First, we made a favorite family treat- these turtle-type candies.  They're so easy that the boys basically made them all by themselves and they're DELICIOUS!

All you need is pretzels, rolos, and pecan halves.  We counted our Rolos to figure out how many pretzels and pecans we needed- so I snuck in a little math too.  ;)  After Austin ate a couple Rolos, we counted out how many pretzels we needed and placed them on a cookie sheet.  I'm not a fan of unrolling the silly Rolos, but I'm really too cheap to just buy the roll of rolos, so I buy the bag.  However, the boys LOVED unwrapping the candy and placing them on the pretzels.  Win-win!



Austin placed the very last Rolo on the pretzel


Then we melted the Rolos in the oven for a few minutes, and smooshed them down with a pecan and placed them in the freezer to set.
While they were setting, Jackson wrote a note on the plates thanking them for their service and sacrifice.


Finished plates-


And finally, the boys counted out the treats to make sure each plate had plenty of treats!


After dinner and FHE we delivered the treats to great grandpa (who served in the Navy) and to Alicia's family.  Austin explained to grandma what service men and women do.  Verbatim:
"On mommy's computer there were veterans (I had showed him a picture of service men and women)...  And, and the veterans and army guys FIGHT the bad guys to SAVE THE WORLD!!"  He was so cute and animated, I wish I had recorded it.

So thank you "veterans and army guys" for all of your service and sacrifice so that my family and I can have the freedoms we enjoy.

"Freedom don't come free" -Toby Keith

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

BABY NUFFER #2 is on his/her way!!!!

That's right, we were waiting to tell everyone, but today we had our second appointment and the second sono and Baby Nuffer #2 is doing well. Most of you know that we had a miscarriage in June after struggling with infertility, it was a very devastating time for us. We were "advised" to wait a couple cycles before trying again (and we were going to take the advice), but a little voice, I know now it was the Spirit, told me we should try again as soon as possible. I talked to Jim and he agreed and sure enough baby #2 is on it's way again! This little one is very healthy and has a strong heartbeat!! We aren't out of the woods yet, I'm just under 9 weeks and at 12 weeks our chances of miscarriage drop significantly. I don't feel we'll be out of the woods until I have our little baby in my arms, which will only give me a whole new set of stresses to worry about. ;) This is Baby Nuffer #2 at 6 weeks and 5 days. If you look close it's off to the ...

Maybe a new birthday tradition...

I just have one brother and his birthday is 5 days before mine, so it's been pretty easy to keep up with him. Jim, however, has 3 brothers and a sister, and now 3 of his siblings are married, so the birthday's just keep adding up. My forgetful brain can NOT keep up. Anyway, I've been looking for a cute and thoughtful way to send birthday greetings to all the aunts and uncles since we've been married. Almost 4 years later I think I finally have an idea! My idea is to make a birthday sign every year and have the boys take a picture with the sign for whatever family member has a birthday. Then send the person the picture with birthday greetings. Then every year they will have a different picture with the boys as they grow and I won't feel guilty missing anyone's birthday without proper acknowledgement. I also thought that it would make a great photo album for us if we keep each person's birthday picture with the boys and watch their growth progression ...

Homemade laundry soap

After about a dozen of my friends started making their own laundry soap I decided maybe it's time I give it a try too.  After talking to a friend that I KNOW is a neat freak like me and she has 4 kids with double the dirty, sticky, crayon-laced clothes that I have, and she raved about homemade detergent I was sure I wanted to make my own laundry soap too.  You can find my recipe here .  I was able to get spaghetti stains off of a white shirt and make Jim's dingy work shorts really clean and bright again.  All of this with just one little tablespoon of homemade detergent.  I did pre-treat the dried spaghetti sauce with a bar of the Fels-Naptha soap (found in the detergent) because someone told me it's a great stain remover and pre-treat agent, and it is! So here's how I made mine... Step 1:  Gather all the ingredients.  I found ALL of the ingredients in the detergent isle at Walmart.  I did buy the generic Oxy-clean, and it's more than enoug...